It’s no coincidence that some of the most beautiful women are the ones who care about what food they put into their bodies. I’ve even noticed this phenomenon with my own appearance, and maybe you have too. When I’m eating a well-balanced diet filled with fresh fruit and vegetables, my hair is shiny, my nails are strong, and my skin has a glow to it. And when I overindulge in greasy, fried or processed food my complexion and tresses usually suffer.
Here is a list of the top ten all-around beauty foods. These fresh and delicious eats are filled with nutrients needed for clearer skin, healthier hair, brighter eyes and more! You can invest in the latest facemask or top concealer on the market, but those beauty products are nothing without a healthy diet…
1. PURPLE CABBAGE. If you’re worried about wrinkles, eating lots of purple cabbage is the way to go. High cortisol levels in the body can cause crows feet and other wrinkles. Purple cabbage is both anti-inflammatory and rich in vitamins A, C, and E- which help to lower cortisol levels. So next time you’re shopping up a salad, add some cabbage to your mixed greens.
2. EDAMAME. Edamame and other non-processed soy foods are rich in isoflavones, which help to preserve skin-firming collagen. So, eat this sushi bar appetizer for youthful looking, wrinkle-free skin.
3. WATERCRESS. Ailments like uneven skin tone and hair loss are often signs of poor circulation. Rich in calcium, iron, and iodine, watercress helps to cleanse and oxygenate tissues for improved circulation and glowing skin.
4. WILD SALMON. Wild salmon is full of healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, which keep your skin supple and hair shiny. Salmon also contains selenium, a mineral that protects the skin from UV exposure. The vitamin D in salmon keeps bones and teeth healthy too.
5. BEETS. Beets naturally help to flush out the lymphatic system, which removes toxins from the body, and in turn brightens your eyes. Raw in salad or roasted as a side, these are a delicious and nutritious beauty food.
6. CILANTRO. Cilantro has the ability to remove heavy metals that enlarge fat cells from your body. Enlarged fat cells increase the appearance of cellulite, making this common seasoning a great beauty food for your whole body.
7. WALNUTS. Along with keeping your scalp and hair healthy, the healthy fats in walnuts can make skin more supple and resilient to issues like age spots and sagging skin. What a perfect midday snack!
8. TOMATOES. Tomatoes (especially canned ones, believe it or not) are the best source of the powerful antioxidant lycopene, which fights many signs of aging. Tomatoes are also rich in the immune-boosting vitamin C, which increases the body’s natural ability to heal damaged or irritated skin. So bring on the pasta sauce…
9. YOGURT. Since yogurt is higher in calcium than milk alone, it’s great for strengthening your nails, teeth, and even improving your posture. I like to add a little low-fat or non-fat Greek Yogurt to my morning smoothie for a calcium and protein boost!
10. WATER. Water may not be a food per se, but H20 is everything when it comes to beauty. When you’re body is dehydrated, every inch of your appearance suffers- from your skin to your hair to your nails to your eyes. If you have trouble sipping plain water all day, try adding slices of lemon, oranges, or strawberries for some extra flavor.